Telephone Support Team Manager
|Job Title||Telephone Support Team Manager|
|Salary||Competitive (dependent on experience & expertise)|
|Hours||35 Hours Per Week | 9AM - 5PM (occasional working outside office hours)|
|Location||Maidenhead, Berskhire, SL6 7RJ (Map)|
|Reporting to||Head of RA Services|
|Closing Date||30th July 2019|
This is a fabulous opportunity for the right candidate who wants to help to take us through our next cycle of growth. NRAS is the only national UK charity exclusively representing all people affected by Rheumatoid Arthritis and Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis in the UK. We also support the families of people with RA and JIA and the health professionals who care for them. As a small charity, with a current income of circa £1.2m, we achieve a huge amount on a small budget, have an enviable reputation in the field of rheumatology and punch well above our weight.
Main Purpose of Job
To manage and actively deliver the provision of a professional, national helpline service to the public. Having completed an in-depth review of the service we have made the decision to recruit a Manager who is actively engaged in working on the help line, responding to calls and information via social media and online requests, as well as leading the team in a management role.
The role will be instrumental in developing the service through a process of continuous development, as well as providing supervision and opportunities for the team to develop and debrief, maintaining a healthy balance to an emotionally demanding role.
- Manage the helpline team of three part time staff, engaging in regular one to one’s, and providing leadership to the team
- Ensure the peer support service is offered to all callers where appropriate and is effectively managed in collaboration with our Adult Services Engagement and Outreach Supervisor.
- Ensure that the helpline is adequately supervised and staffed during opening hours.
- Ensure the helpline provides best practice, evidenced based support and up to date information to all enquirers.
- Ensure up to date resources are available to assist the helpline team in responding to enquiries in collaboration with the Information and Support Manager.
- Highlight problematic or difficult enquiries to the Head of RA Services for investigation as they arise.
- Highlight the work of the helpline by promoting the service through social media, website and publications, meetings and presentations in collaboration with the Marketing, Communications & PR Manager and the Digital Media Manager.
- Develop the helpline equipment to ensure it meets the requirements of the service.
- Ensure all enquiries received through email, letter and telephone are followed up appropriately and in a timely way.
- Review all standard letters and communications currently used by the Team and where improvements or updates should be made, discuss these with the Head of RA Services
- Have regular meetings with the Head of RA Services as needed
Recruitment & Service – Peer Support
- Assist the RA Services Engagement and Outreach Supervisor with recruitment, interview and selection process of RA peer to peer telephone support volunteers.
- Monitor performance with Engagement and Outreach Supervisor of peer to peer telephone support volunteers referred from the help line.
- In collaboration with RA Services Engagement and Outreach Supervisor, ensure that the current training programme for the telephone support volunteers is kept fresh and up to date
- In collaboration with RA Services Engagement and Outreach Supervisor, ensure processes, protocols and materials/resources are reviewed appropriately and kept up to date
Management and Support
- Manage the helpline team, overseeing their training and development to ensure continuous personal development.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the helpline Team
- Prepare necessary rotas for staffing the helpline.
- Ensure the helpline team receive 6 monthly appraisals in line with the current appraisal system for all staff which is to the strategic plan.
- Ensure helpline team have adequate opportunity for de-briefing
- Support the helpline team and helpline volunteers in dealing with complicated or sensitive enquiries.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Maintain good records and reporting systems, including ensuring that records are kept properly on Salesforce and updated appropriately.
- Ensure the monitoring and evaluation of the helpline service is carried out in accordance with the quality assessment framework.
- Ensure that regular audit of the helpline service is undertaken (this is already established)
- Work with the other team members to ensure timely reporting on a range of related topics.
- Report monthly to the Head of RA services on service delivery, and complete monthly report for Trustees giving monthly helpline stats
- Network with relevant organisations to ensure the NRAS helpline service is as good as it can be and to be collaborative
- Where appropriate liaise with relevant agencies and community groups to raise the profile of NRAS.
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with developments affecting your own CPD.
- Be aware of own development and training needs and discuss these with line manager.
- Work to administration and communication protocols efficiently to ensure that organisational systems and procedures are followed and implemented.
- Prepare for and participate in regular one-to-one sessions with your team and your line manager.
- Participate in team meetings.
- Comply with all NRAS policies and procedures as set out in staff handbook.
- Positively promote NRAS at all times.
- Support Fundraising Team with applications for funding for the Helpline through charitable grants and other avenues.
- Undertake other duties as appropriate when required.
Position in the organisation
- Budgeting – setting the Telephone Helpline budget and managing this throughout the year
- Ensure, with the Marketing, Communications and PR Manager and the Digital Media Manager that PR, Comms, design & print and brand decisions relevant the Helpline are covered within budget
Qualifications and Skills
Good previous experience running a Helpline or customer services service
University Degree or further education
· Demonstrable experience working in a similar environment
· Collaborative working with colleagues
· Understanding and implementation of process and protocols to achieve quality control and standards
· Development, implementation and management of budgets
· Strategic planning
· Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
· Ability to initiate, analyse, monitor and evaluate outcomes
· Understanding of voluntary sector
· Understanding of the NHS
· Worked in the NHS previously or in a caring type service
Knowledge and Skills
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Proficient use of Microsoft Word; Excel; Powerpoint
· Proficient use of databases and data management
· Use of Salesforce database
· Understanding of the health environment
· Understanding of Rheumatoid Arthritis and its treatment
Personal Circumstances & Attributes
· Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
· Highly motivated and committed
· Positive outlook and approach
· Ability to represent charity at senior level and to large groups of people if requested
· Willingness to travel and work out of hours when required
· Full driving licence and car owner
· Calm under pressure
· Strategic thinker
- Collaborate closely with other team colleagues to ensure dovetailing of workstreams and strategy
- Participate in, and contribute to, organisational/management team meetings
- Contribute to development of strategy in regard to Helpline
- There may occasionally be some travel within the UK
- Attendance and participation in staff team meetings
- Any other duties as requested by the Senior Management Team (SMT)
If/ when representing NRAS
Represent NRAS in a senior capacity to external stakeholders, funders and partners promoting it as a respected, trusted and ambitious charity resulting in successful working and funding partnerships. NRAS expects all employees to respect the unique contribution of every individual and operates an equal opportunity and diversity policy.
All employees must work responsibly within the health and safety policy of the organisation and ensure they are observing this at all times.
We operate a flexible start and finish time and provide a generous Time off in Lieu policy. It should be noted that some out of hours working for which TOIL will not apply should be expected and is just part of the job at this level.