Policy & Communications Manager
|Title||Policy & Communications Manager|
|Salary||£35,000 - £37,500|
|Hours||35 hours per week|
|Location||4 The Switchback, Gardner Road, Maidenhead, Berks, SL6 7RJ|
|Reporting to||The CEO|
|Direct Reports||1 x Administrator|
Main Purpose of Job
To advance the interests of NRAS with decision-making bodies such as UK government and Parliament, industry regulators, devolved health and social care bodies and other stakeholders. To contribute to the delivery of NRAS’s mission and increase the charity’s impact by developing and executing the society’s influence and communications work with policy-makers and the media.
- Establish regular contact with politicians, political advisers, civil servants, non-departmental public bodies and regulators to keep them informed about the organisation’s work and policy positions. Organise and attend regular meetings with these stakeholders, representing the organisation and developing relationships with key decision-makers.
- Monitor proceedings of the UK Parliament and European institutions and provide analysis of these for all colleagues including the senior management team.
- Provide forecasts of the likely effect of public policy changes on the organisation and the organisation’s members.
- Develop policy campaigns in Westminster and devolved nations.
- Draft submissions to government, regulator and other public body consultations
- Research and analyse policy and provide written and oral briefings for senior staff members on external policy issues covering health, social care, work, welfare and more.
- Draft press releases and build relationships with media contacts.
- Keep abreast of important media stories on a daily basis.
- Work alongside the marketing executive to develop charity campaigns.
- Liaise with the Digital & Social Media team on planning digital campaign engagements and messaging.
- Representing the charity at external stakeholder meetings when required and being an active participant in coalitions and working groups.
- Manage organisation-wide projects and projects facilitated by industry in regard to RA and JIA
- Undertake any other work relating to policy and communication as requested by the senior management team.
Decision Making Authority
- Financial/budgeting – setting the Policy & Communications budget in collaboration with the CEO and managing this throughout the year
- Sharing responsibility with the SMT for setting the strategic direction of the charity’s Policy & Communication functions
|Skills & Abilities||
|Personal Circumstances & Attributes||
- Travel throughout the UK (and some out of UK travel), involving some overnight stays
- Out of hours working, including occasional weekends