Healthcare Champions 2016
Published: 3 Nov 2016
On 2nd November, NRAS held its 5th Healthcare Champion awards ceremony in Portcullis House, Westminster with the kind permission of the Prime Minister and NRAS Founding Patron, the Rt. Hon Theresa May. The event was a resounding success with over 80 NRAS Members, healthcare professionals, MPs and special guests attending.
The awards provide the opportunity to celebrate the dedication, professionalism and excellent care given by those healthcare professionals that go ‘the extra mile’ to provide the best possible outcomes for the many people living with RA and JIA, whilst also working in a challenging environment of NHS reforms and financial cuts.
This year we asked our Members and parents of children with JIA to nominate their choices for the awards. From a wide variety of nominations, a special panel of judges that included NRAS Medical Advisors and Trustees, selected 10 RA and 3 JIA winning entries. Those selected best demonstrated a commitment to meeting the needs of their patients, treated patients holistically and involved them in decisions about their care and who really listened and educated their patients about their disease, their treatment options and next steps in their care pathway.
And the winners of the 2016 NRAS Healthcare Champion Awards are:
RA Healthcare Champions
- Dr James Galloway - Consultant at Kings College Hospital, London
- Dr Viren Mehta - GP at Cheadle Medical Practice, Cheshire.
- Dr Martin Lee - Consultant and Mr Karl Nicholl - Specialist Nurse at Freeman Hospital, Newcastle.
- Ms Sharon Pearson, Ms Alex Greengrass and Ms Fidelma Gordon - Specialist Nurses at Lister Hospital, Hertfordshire
- Whole Rheumatology Team at Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth (represented by Dr Steven Young Minand Mr Colin Beevor)
- Mrs Janice Booth and Mr Geoff Dodd - Rheumatology Nurses at Clifton Hospital, Lytham St Annes
- Mr Baz Jambor - Senior Physiotherapist at Derriford Hospital
- Professor Chris Buckley - Consultant and Mrs Alison Deeming - Specialist Nurse at City Hospital, Birmingham.
- Dr Margaret-Mary Gordon - Consultant at Gartnavel Hospital, Glasgow.
- Dr Vispi Parekh - GP at St Albans Medical Centre at Kingston-upon-Thames
JIA Healthcare Champions
- Ms Kit Tranter - Specialist Rheumatology Nurse at Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital
- Whole Paediatric Team at Evelina Children’s Hospital (represented by Dr Nick Wilkinson and Ms Eunice Gobold)
Joint RA/ JIA Healthcare Champion
- Dr Jeremy Camilleri – Consultant Rheumatologist at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff